12 Responses

1. Bob Burroughs
    Bob Burroughs January 26, 2012 at 11:18 am |

Excellent article, Stephen. You are on target. Thank you for your insights and i look forward to your ThME in coming weeks.

1. Steve Phifer
      Steve Phifer February 3, 2012 at 8:20 am |

Bob, your encouragement means so much. I have admired your work for years and I am honored to be on the Creator team with you. I invite you to check out my bi-weekly blogs at http://www.TheWorshipRenewalCenter.com Semper Reformanda! Steve

2. David Leestma
    David Leestma January 26, 2012 at 12:05 pm |

So well stated. Thank you for the reminder to keep focused on Jesus as we lead and offer our corporate worship to Him.

1. Steve Phifer
      Steve Phifer February 3, 2012 at 8:18 am |

David, you are right–let’s keep the focus on Jesus! That is the starting place and the continuing emphasis of worship renewal. I’m looking forward to continuing this discussion at http://www.TheWorshipRenewalCenter.com! Semper Reformanda! Steve

3. Vicki Carr
    Vicki Carr January 28, 2012 at 8:49 am |

WOW! Inspiring, to say the least. I particularly like this line: Our life and leadership is a pilgrimage from the place we find ourselves to the place we feel God wants us to be. Travel on.

1. Steve Phifer
      Steve Phifer February 3, 2012 at 8:15 am |

Thanks, Vicki, for joining me on this pilgrimage! We have much to be inspired about! I hope you will visit http://www.TheWorshipRenewalCenter.com to follow to follow the blogs I am writing on worship renewal. Semper Reformanda! Steve

4. Bob Myers
    Bob Myers February 9, 2012 at 9:06 am |

Steve, So biblical, so creative, so insightful. Great stuff. You wrote, “Worship leaders are the trailblazers, the pathfinders, the highway map-readers.” O that it were true! But only if that role is recognized and given authority by the senior/lead pastor. Otherwise, all of our “trailblazing” will be a heartbreaking venture in frustration. Worship leaders need to invite, and if possible, compel, their senior pastors along the pilgrim way.

1. Steve Phifer
      Steve Phifer February 10, 2012 at 2:21 am |

Bob: Thanks for the positive response. I understand your frustration. The fact is, ususlly the sr pastor is the one to establish the context for worship. Until he or she does that, what the worship leader does is probably seen as his/her personal style and not true worship renewal. That’s why I want to write to pastors as well as worship leaders. I like to call pastors “lead worshipers.” They serve as the door to worship renewal, open or closed!

1. Bob
        Bob February 10, 2012 at 5:03 am |

…and that’s why I rather be a senior pastor at this stage of career. :)

1. Bob
          Bob February 10, 2012 at 6:56 am |

Perhaps I should learn to write a cogent sentence first! LOL

5. Steve Phifer
    Steve Phifer February 10, 2012 at 2:34 am |

For follow-up articles to this Thursday morning email go to http://www.TheWorshipRenewalCenter.com. Sample titles include: “The Wasteland and the Glory” “The Presence of the Lord Is Not a ‘Thing!’” “Emracing the Mystery of His Presence” “Lord Save Me from the Seat of My Pants” “Confessions of a Serial Biblicist” And coming next Tuesday: “The Tale of the Flaming Heart”

6. Steve Phifer
    Steve Phifer February 17, 2012 at 12:02 pm |

Two more followup articles at http://www.TheWorshipRenewalCenter.com: “The Tale of the Burning Heart” and “Rebellion without a Cause” Log-on, read and comment! Thanks!